Wednesday, October 6

Crafty Geek Out


Highlight of my weekend: myself and a few of my family members hit up the Ozark Craft Fair , an event I had never been to until this year. Now, I preface this post with the perhaps-obvious disclaimer that there are a lot of booths at any craft fair that are just not worth seeing. It doesn’t matter what your taste is, that will always be the case. But this craft fair actually exceeded my expectations. 

Sure, Ozark and Springfield are good places to find flea markets, independent craftsmen, and even a few great antique stores, but anyone, I mean anyone, can have a booth at a craft fair. This fact, combined with the striking presence of fried food (an ever-expanding food category) and the mass of people and pick-up trucks involved can be kind of a turn-off for some. However, the Ozark Craft Fair really had a lot to offer (other than delicious kettle corn). So, although it’s difficult for me to describe the fair in much detail, other than that there were more booth-filled tents than I could rummage through in two hours, I can say definitively that the event was worth attending. In the past I’ve not enjoyed them enough to think of fairs as good weekend activities, even though I love crafting and, if not shopping, getting inspiration for my own projects, and that’s what the Ozark Craft Fair did for me last Saturday. Basically, it fueled me to find information about more fairs in the area, such as the War Eagle Mill Craft Fair, which I hope to attend during Fall Break.

So… am I alone? Does anyone else out there interested in crafting/purchasing stuff from craft fairs at all? If so, are there any fairs or festivals you particularly enjoy? I’d hate to be rambling on about this if I’m the only one, so let me know!
Side note: The word craft has lost meaning in my brain after typing it so many times. 

10 comments:

  1. I actually really enjoy craft fairs. I haven't been to one in a few years, but I love going with a group of friends. It is such a fun thing to do in the fall. Honestly one thing I associate with fall is craft fairs. I have been to a couple in different places around the country, but I usually do go to the one in Branson every year. I don't know what it is called though, sorry. It is always a fun time though walking through downtown and they usually have some really cool things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always enjoyed the idea of crafts and have done a little crafting myself. Its been along time since the last craft show I attended. As for any other shows, Eureka Springs is a great place to catch. I just recently favorited their calender. They seem to have them quite often.That might be something you would want to look into!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love walking through antique stores , their cheep rates make my walls look so beautiful.
    Its also very refreshing to see how the community comes together to support the local crafts men and artists. very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not going to say that I would love all crafts, but I would definitely be interested in some of the things that people make. There are some amazing people with amazing hobbies out there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoy these posts. I love going to the Fair Grove Arts Festival, though I sadly missed it this year. I have definitely bought a few fun pet items that you could never find anywhere else (mostly awesome bandannas and rag-doll tugs). Two years ago I bought some hand-painted coasters that I use to this day. I love crafts, but I'm not much of a crafter myself. I am very jealous of those with that particular talent.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was pretty surprised as well with the booths that did have nice things to offer. I would love to have my own booth at one of these someday, but I know I would have to have a lot made in order to feel like I should have my own booth.
    I also enjoyed smelling all the fried foods that remind me of childhood. :)
    AND I love our wooden spool shelves!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love craft fairs. Seeing people selling things they've made themselves makes me want to try and make things myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Even though I don't enjoy going to craft fairs, I still feel like I managed to get a "certain something" out of reading this post. I would love to learn to be more crafty, but I kind of think that you're either born with a required amount of basic artistic talent or you're not. I'd definitely fall in the latter category.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is really neat. Where waw this fair at? i have never heard of it but def. would like to go sometime. Do you get to do crafts at these fairs?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Even though I'm not really all that crafty myself, I do like the occasional trip to the crafts fair. I'm just always so impressed with some of the stuff people can do. And I almost always find something that I desperately want, even if I don't necessarily need it...

    ReplyDelete