Tuesday, November 16

The Mid-November Christmas Itch

.... I can't fight it. I love getting ready for Christmas, even before Thanksgiving Break arrives. I know many people who can't stand any mention of Christmas until at least Black Friday, but I can't stop thinking about it and I don't care who knows it. I briefly mentioned in my last post that I'm attempting to give mostly (if not completely) homemade or repurposed Christmas presents, and that's quite a challenge. I've already begun planning, and I thought I'd share some of my inspirations on this blog. The idea of giving people gifts that take time and effort, love and care to create really excites me. Sometimes when I buy people gifts and wrap them I forget what I'm even giving them... another great part about homemade gifts is that they are usually less expensive!

Creature Comforts is a blog I visit time and again for craft and decor ideas - it's bright, joyous, and full of inspiration. There are a lot of great, relatively simple craft ideas (both holiday-themed and not) and a tab on the homepage where you can download printables like labels, gift tags, fonts and project templates. She has a few posts up about different types of homemade wreaths, a gift idea that I'm right in the middle of working on myself.

Smile and Wave is another eclectic blog that's jam packed with cool ideas that I recently discovered. I've been searching the handmade and holiday tags for inspiration and have not been disappointed.

Bugs and Fishes is another one of my absolute favorite craft-type blogs; this one is mainly focused on felt crafting, which is something I haven't tried much of yet, but it seems to be a popular medium right now. My favorite parts of this blog are the Christmas tutorials with instructions on how to make simple Christmas tree decorations and such and the Gift Wrap Ideas section, with tons of interesting and new ideas of how to wrap all your wonderful homemade gifts.

Hopefully I will be able to take a few photos of things I'm working on and get more into Christmas... but I'll wait a little while. Are you ready for Christmas? Got any projects going? Please share!

9 comments:

  1. I am someone who cannot celebrate Christmas till after Thanksgiving. Mainly because I feel like usually Thanksgiving is like the kid on the playground that no one plays with because it is not a "popular kid" like Christmas, so I pay attention to it and then Christmas. I am totally going to use some of these ideas though because as a college student, I am broke for Christmas. Thanks for this awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have the Christmas itch too. I love Christmas. I want so much to start listening to Christmas music and watch the Grinch (a favorite). I agree, though, that Thanksgiving recieves no love. Even the Macy's Day Parade ends with Santa. Its like a slap in the face, saying something like you're just a stepping stone to Christmas. The women in my family spend Thanksgiving planning their assault on the mall for Black Friday sales. So, I will resist, but I don't know how much longer I can hold out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, as you very well know, am one to get very mad at people who start celebrating Christmas before Thanksgiving, but for some reason this year I can hardly stand it! I am already looking at things I want to get and make people for Christmas and am aching to make a gingy house.. or train. =]

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the heads up on the info, I'll be looking for the pics of your crafts for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea. I would love to do something like that if I had the time but it never seems like I have time for things like that. I love that you have blogs that have great ideas. I love making things when I have the time anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So. Many. Christmas songs. I don't even mind that they are before Thanksgiving... there's just so many of them...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm beginning to think that someone should write some Thanksgiving music so that can be played instead...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Man, I'm so pumped for Christmas! I love Christmas! I would side with celebrating Thanksgiving, but I don't really like Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving food's never appealed to me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Christmas, but waiting until Thanksgiving to listen to Christmas music makes the wait much more worth it. These links are awesome!

    ReplyDelete