Wednesday, December 1

Only At Christmas Time

Well, here we are less than three weeks until the end of the semester, and what is on my mind? Christmas gifts of course! I pretty much have nothing to write about except crafts/gifts I've been making, because it's the only thing other than finishing up the semester that my brain has had space for. This may not be such an interesting post, but it's kind of fun for me to show  a few things I've gotten done in the past few weeks (other than homework). 

This first craft was something I decided to start doing at the beginning of the year and spent all summer flea-marketing seeking out proper found objects with which to adorn: decoupage boxes. I bought some plain wooden boxes from a hobby store for a couple dollars each (depending on shape and size) and used mod podge matte glue to attach pieces of old sheet music, then used hot glue to attach this interesting wooden picture onto the top. It's a pretty simple, relatively cheap craft and a good gift for female friends, my main craft demographic as of right now. 




This second project was something I replicated for a few different people, and it was also quite cheap to make. You can buy sturdy styrofoam wreath forms at craft stores and do pretty much anything you want to with them. I was inspired by Smile and Wave and especially this wreath from Anthropologie (priced at $148... mine may not be as perfect, but it was a heck of a lot more cheap, and fun to make!)

I basically just twisted sections of yarn around and hot glued on the backside of the wreath periodically, then sewed on a handmade felt piece. To finish I attached a strip of ribbon with twist pins to the back. 
Here's a close-up of my felt piece.. it is supposed to be a cardinal. I used some old fabric and a button to sew the layers of felt together. 

 This year I got inspired to wrap gifts up in really simple brown paper, adorned with yarn and doilies or these easy-to-make ribbons. I simply bought a 3-yard piece of muslin and cut the piece horizonally into 1 1/2- 2 inch strips, then used acrylic Christmas stamps to make simple ribbons for gifts. I'm trying to think of other things to do with these, as I've made about 7 3-yard chunks of ribbon and still have leftovers. 



Here's one last simple gift idea: button earrings. Most of these were buttons I bought especially to make into earrings, but one could easily make matches of buttons they already own. You just need a hot glue gun and earring posts and backings. I like to attach mine to cool papers or in small boxes I save from receiving jewelry, sometimes covering the lid in pretty paper. 

These are a few of the things I've finished so far, now I'm off to create more. Hope I haven't bored you to death. How's the Christmas planning going on your end? I love preparing for Christmas during the entire season... but I'm also one of those people who packs for trips months ahead. 

4 comments:

  1. This is so cool. I wish I was that crafty. I love the decorative boxes and the earrings. Those will make great gifts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have very nice ideas. I love the box.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are craftabulous. I'm green with jealous rage. Just kidding.. Very talented and inspired works!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish I were as crafty as you, Erin! Being able to make everyone's Christmas presents would save me soooo much money.

    ReplyDelete